Monday, March 7, 2011

opening my eyes and mind to primary series

This past weekend, Stratusphere welcomed special guest Ashtanga yoga teacher David Robson, to lead primary series at the studio. This was such a special treat for us practitioners because he is hosting a 100hr immersion next month at the studio. Class was packed, energy was high and all smiles were filled across the room. To think, that I have been teaching for more than a year, and I have not met this man yet, or even practiced traditional Mysore (self practice) on a daily basis. What a disgrace and eye opener for me! My practice has definitely evolved in the last three years, but nowhere where it could be. For once, I lasted through the primary’s entirety, attempting EVERY pose in the series, much to my fear before I would skip or do something else. It’s ok if I didn’t get it right, that’s the whole part about yoga being a journey. It takes many years of practice and dedication, and I have accepted that. 
Now feeling the after effects of my body being sore in all places (very different than crossFit sore), a new goal has been formed. This summer, I will commit to one month of Mysore at least 3 days a week at the Ashtanga Yoga Centre of Toronto with the man himself, DR (that’s what we call him around here). It won’t be easy waking up at the crack of dawn, driving downtown to find parking, but it will all be worth it after: mentally, physically and spiritually. This is my journey…stay tuned. 

Image source: practice chart by Vicki Picone

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jessie ~ I really enjoy reading your blog. How long were you practicing yoga before you decided to take the teacher's training? I've been doing yoga for a few months now and really love it!
    Blessings,
    ~Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear your primary experience with DR was a good one. Let me know when you decide to commit to early morning Mysore...I'm up and on the road anyway, might as well join you;)

    ReplyDelete